Gangsters in America – Louis "Lepke" Buchalter: the only mob boss executed by the government

He was bad to the bone since he was born. He cheated, forced and killed men with relish. In the end, for his many crimes, Louis “Lepke” Buchalter became a toast in the electric chair of Sing Sing.

Louis Buchalter was born in Williamsburg, Brooklyn on February 12, 1897. His parents were Russian Jews, and his father owned a hardware store on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Buchalter led an uneventful life as a child. He often walked the Williamsburg Bride with his father to escort him to work. His mother affectionately called him “Lepkeleh”, which is Yiddish for “Little Louis”. His childhood friends shortened it to Lepke, a name that stayed with him for the rest of his life.

Lepke’s life took a turn for the worse when he was 13 years old. Her father died unexpectedly and her mother was so upset by her husband’s death that her health began to seriously deteriorate. Doctors told her that she needed a change of weather to restore her health, so Lepke’s mother left for Arizona, leaving Lepke in charge of her older sister. Lepke, deeply resentful of being abandoned, was impossible for his sister to control. He soon dropped out of school and began roaming the streets of the Lower East Side, looking for trouble and, more importantly, finding it. He hung out with older mobsters, who taught him how to steal and steal, and how to rob old women of their valuables. In 1915, Lepke was caught shoplifting and sent to live with an uncle in Bridgeport, Connecticut. There he continued his thieving practices and was eventually sent to a children’s reformatory in Cheshire.

A few months later, Lepke, now just 16, was back wandering the streets of the Lower East Side. He started stealing pushcarts and, one day, tried to steal a pushcart that was already being stolen by another street thug named Jacob “Gurrah” Shapiro. The two quickly became friends and began a relationship that would last for the rest of their natural lives. Lepke and Shapiro teamed up and were the menace of the downtown wheelbarrow owners. They attempted to climb the latter to higher scores, but in 1918, Lepke was caught robbing a downtown loft and was sent to Sing Sing Prison with a five-year sentence as a result.

Lepke’s time in prison was the equivalent of a college education for criminals. When he was released in 1923, at the age of 25, he was now an inveterate thug, with the knowledge to succeed in a life of crime. He teamed up again with his old friend Shapiro and they decided they could make a mint selling “protection” to bakeries all over New York City. Other thieves called them “The Gorilla Boys,” and Lepke and Shapiro convinced such major organizations as Gottfried’s, Levy’s, Fink’s, and California Pies that they could stop “crazy immigrants” from burning down their bakeries. Of course, the crazy immigrants were the “Gorilla Boys” themselves, and those who didn’t pay protection actually burned down their bakeries.

The next step for “The Gorilla Boys” was as schlammers or legbreakers for the unions. Under the direction of their boss, Little Augie Orgen, Lepke, and Shapiro made a good living keeping union members in the garment district at bay. Orgen was upset about competition from Dopey Benny Fein, who was creeping into Orgen’s union territories. So Orgen sent Lepke and Shapiro to straighten out Fein with bullets. The duo cornered Fein in a Bowery bar, but were only able to wound him, while Shapiro was shot in the back. Orgen himself took over from Fein soon after, consolidating his control over the syndicates. But then Lepke and Shapiro had the bright idea to take care of their boss the same way Orgen did with Fein. And so they did, filling Orgen with lead on a Lower East Side street while Orgen’s bodyguard, Jack “Legs” Diamond, was nearby, not doing a great job of protecting the boss from him.

Orgen’s murder propelled “The Gorilla Boys” into the big time. They instantly became stars of the underworld, befriending such mobsters as Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Frank Costello, Albert Anastasia, Dutch Schultz, Tommy Lucchese, and Lucky Luciano. His specialty was working on both ends of union agreements; blackmailing owners into paying protection and charging high fees to union members, while getting a good chunk for themselves from the top of an ever-growing pot of union cash. Industries like the poultry business, the garment center, the restaurants, and the cleaning and dyeing businesses paid Lepke and Shapiro, who had more than 250 thugs now working for them, an estimated $10 million a year just to stay in business. business. In order to show the government some legitimate income to justify their lavish lifestyles, Lepke and Shapiro, no longer called “Gorilla Boys” but “Gold Dust Twins,” acquired legitimate companies like Raleigh Manufacturing, Pioneer Coat Factory, and Greenberg and Shapiro. .

Lepke, along with Luciano, Schultz, Lansky, Siegel, Costello, Anastasia, and Lucchese formed a national criminal syndicate, which controlled all illegal activities in the Northeast and even the Midwest. Of course, for such an operation to continue to thrive and grow, sometimes dissidents, inside and outside the group, need to be “straightened out,” or in other words, killed. The syndicate put Lepke in charge of the assassination department, with Anastasia, a mad assassin, as her deputy chief. They expertly ran what the press called “Murder Incorporated.” Lepke employed gunslingers like Abe “Kid Twist” Reles, Harry “Pittsburgh Phil” Strauss, Happy Maione, and Dasher Abbandando, among others, to travel wherever needed, to fix anyone who needed fixing.

Trouble came to Lepke on behalf of special prosecutor Thomas E. Dewey, who had already jailed Luciano on a bogus prostitution charge. Dewey went after Lepke for his bakery racketeering deals, but Dewey came down harder when he got the Federal Bureau of Narcotics to build a case involving Lepke in a massive drug smuggling operation. Assuming he was facing big time in prison, Lepke went on the run. Anastasia hid him in various Brooklyn hideouts while other syndicate members took care of the rackets from him.

Lepke’s actions had an adverse effect on the rest of his friends. J. Edgar Hoover, obviously unaware that Hitler and Mussolini were wreaking havoc around the world, called Lepke “the most dangerous man on earth.” As a result, a $50,000 bounty was placed on Lepke’s head. New York Mayor Fiorello La Guardia joined the heat when he ordered his police commissioner, Lewis J. Valentine, to start a “war on thugs.” Things got so bad that he texted Luciano, who was chilling in the can, for some sage advice on how to handle the Lepke thing. Luciano decided that, for the common good, Lepke, after nearly four years on the run, had to turn himself in and face music.

The trick was how to convince a man, facing 30 years to life, to turn himself in and take his medicine like a man. Luciano, always the wily fox, concocted a plan, whereby Moe “Dimples” Wolensky, a man Lepke trusted, convinced Lepke that a deal had been made with Hoover, that he would be tried only on the narcotics charge and He would get five years in jail. , at most. And if Lepke surrendered directly to Hoover, Dewey would be completely out of the picture. Lepke had her doubts, and when he asked Anastasia for advice, Anastasia, who was obviously not involved in the deal, told Lepke, “This deal sounds crazy. As long as they can’t catch you, they can’t hurt you.”

On August 5, 1940, gossip columnist and radio host Walter Winchell received a phone call at his nightclub, the Stork Club, at 3 East Fifty-Third Street. A gruff voice on the other end of the phone said, “Don’t ask who I am, but Lepke wants in. Get in touch with Hoover and tell him that Lepke wants a guarantee that he won’t be harmed if he turns himself in to Hoover.”

The next day, Winchell went on the radio. He said, in his usual breathy speech, like a machine gun firing from his mouth: “Your reporter is reliably informed that Lepke, the fugitive, is about to surrender, possibly this week. If Lepke can find someone he can Trust me, I’m told you’re coming in. The G-men authorize Lepke to be assured of a safe delivery.

On August 24, 1940, Winchell received a phone call telling him to go to a pharmacy on Eighth Avenue and Nineteenth Street and sit in a phone booth in the back. At 9 p.m., a customer casually approached Winchell and told him to phone Hoover and tell him to be at Fifth Avenue and Twenty-ninth Street by 10:20 p.m. Winchell himself was told to immediately drive to Madison Avenue. and Twenty Third Street. Winchell did as he was told and, at 10:15, Lepke, who was wearing a mustache as part of his costume, got into Winchell’s car. Minutes later, the two men got out of Winchell’s car and walked to a black limousine. Hoover was sitting alone in the back seat.

Winchell opened the back door of the limousine and said, “Mr. Hoover, this is Lepke.”

Hoover said to Lepke, “How are you?”

Lepke told Hoover, “Nice to meet you. Let’s go.”

Almost immediately, Lepke knew he had been duped. Within days, Hoover told Lepke that there had been no conditional agreement for his surrender. Lepke was tried on the narcotics charge and sentenced to 14 years. But then the roof came crashing down on Lepke when, after his first trial, Hoover turned Lepke over to Dewey, to stand trial for the murder of an innocent idiot named Joe Rosen, whom Lepke ordered killed in 1936. Rosen was killed because He threatened to go to Dewey and tell him Lepke stole Rosen’s trucking business. As a result, Lepke’s boys fired 17 bullets at Rosen. At Lepke’s murder trial, a rat bite, including Abe “Kid Twist” Reles, testified that Rosen was killed on Lepke’s orders. After a short deliberation by the jury, Lepke was found guilty and sentenced to death.

Lepke lost appeal after appeal for four whole years, and was scheduled to be executed on March 2, 1944. Then suddenly, on the day he was to be executed, Lepke dropped a bombshell when he requested a meeting with the district of the New York City. Lawyer Frank Hogan. Lepke told Hogan that he had information on political corruption that reached as far back as the President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt. Lepke was granted a 48-hour reprieve, and Hogan went to Dewey, who was now Governor of New York and the only one who could stop Lepke’s execution. Hoover told the story of Dewey Lepke. Dewey, who would later run unsuccessfully for the presidency, turned a deaf ear to Lepke, sealing his fate.

On March 4, 1944, Louis “Lepke” Buchalter, knowing that his best friends had cheated him and without a trace of emotion or remorse, was executed in the electric chair at Sing Sing Prison.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *