Not sure which baby names to choose for your little bundle of joy? Welcome to the club!
More parents than ever are searching for the perfect baby name for their new son or daughter; in fact, one of the most frequent search engines for the last four years has been “baby names”. From traditional baby names to one-of-a-kind creations, parents know that a child’s name is more than just a collection of letters: it has meaning and significance for both the child and the family, especially if the baby’s name in question is relates to your heritage or honors a beloved ancestor.
Are you curious about the most popular baby names and the multiple meanings behind them? Grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and get ready to crack the most popular baby names of 2008. Who knows, your future baby’s name could be in this very article!
here come the girls
Without further ado, here are the most popular names for girls in 2008, along with the meaning of each beautiful name and the country of origin:
1. Emma: This name sets a trend by returning to more traditional baby names. Of German origin, Emma means “universal”.
2. Sophia – A derivative of “Sophie”. Of Greek origin, this name means “wisdom”.
3. Madison – Of English origin, this name means “son of Maud.”
4. Isabella – This name is often attributed to the Hebrew name “Isabel”, which means “My God is a vow”. Derivatives of this name also have Spanish roots.
5. Olivia – Once again, this name reflects the growing tendency of parents to choose more traditional names. Of Greek origin, this name means “olive tree”. The name Olivia has been a consistent presence in the top ten names for girls for the past seven years.
6. Ava: This name is an old German name meaning “a bird.” This was the most popular name choice for girls in 2007.
7. Madeline – An Old English name derived from the Hebrew “Magdalena”, meaning “woman of Magdala”.
8. Addison: This name means “son of Adam” in English.
9. Hailey – Making her first appearance in the top ten baby names for girls, Hailey is an English name meaning “natural; hay meadow.”
10. Lily – A Greek name from the name “Lillian”, which means “lily of the pond”.
Didn’t see the name of a girl you were attracted to? You might be interested in the next level of baby names for girls, some of which include popular choices like “Keira,” “Arianna,” “Peyton,” and “Mackenzie.”
Let’s hear it for the boys
Do you expect a beautiful baby in the future? Below are the most popular name choices for boys in 2008:
1. Aiden – Taking the number one spot for the first time, the name Aiden is an Irish name meaning “Fiery.”
2. Jayden – Of Spanish origin, this name means “Green stone; grateful.”
3. Ethan – An old Hebrew name meaning “strong, steadfast.”
4. Jacob: One of the most popular name choices for boys in the last century, this Hebrew name means “the supplanter.”
5. Caden – Of Welsh origin, this popular boys’ name means “battle.”
6. Jackson: This name has quickly become one of the most popular baby name choices in recent years. Of Hebrew origin, this name means “son of Jack.” There are no surprises there!
7. Noah: While still one of the most popular names for boys, this name has fallen in recent years thanks to the introduction of new names like “Caden” and “Jayden.” This traditional Hebrew name means “rest, comfort.”
8. Jack: A derivative of the traditional Hebrew name “John,” this name in English means “God is merciful.”
9. Logan: This name has been an increasingly popular choice among parents. Of Scottish origin, “Logan” means “little hollow”.
10. Matthew – Once again marking a fashionable return to tradition, this ancient Hebrew name means “gift of God.”
Did you see any baby names that appealed to you on this list? Don’t worry, many names are quickly moving up the list of most baby names and will undoubtedly appear for years to come. Popular new names to watch out for include “Caleb,” “Mason,” “Liam,” and “Brody.”
Whether you choose one of the names listed above or prefer to come up with your own, make sure your baby’s name communicates how special and unique he or she is. After all, your bundle of joy is special, and you want to choose one of several baby names that are just as special as your baby!